7.29.2008

charity never faileth (except at the airport)

This morning I took Brooke and Raegan to the airport for their two week humanitarian trip to Peru. I pulled up to the curbside drop-off and we unloaded their luggage. I soon realized that they had 5 big bags to pull, but only 4 hands with which to pull them into the airport. Two of the bags were filled to capacity with pots and pans, yards of fabric, soccer balls, baby dolls - things to donate to these people who have so little.

I stood there for a minute, knowing darn well that you are NOT supposed to leave your car unattended. I didn't know what else to do, so I quickly grabbed Adam out of his car seat and with the other hand grabbed a bag and ran for the door into the terminal. I got the girls and the bags inside, said my good-byes, and quickly dashed back out to my van....only to find a TICKET on my windshield! I was gone for one minute at most. How ridiculous. As I ran to the car, the "Airport Parking Nazi", er, I mean the officer who wrote the ticket yelled over to me....

him: Mam, is this your car?

me: Yes

him: You can't leave your car unattended.

me: My two daughters needed help carrying in their bags. I was gone for one minute.

him: That doesn't matter - you can't leave your car unattended. And in another 30 seconds I was going to have your car towed away.

me: Are you kidding?! Would you rather that I had left my 4-year-old child in it so that it wouldn't be "unattended"? Would that have been better?
(Adam hanging off of my hip with his crusty nose and fuzzy footed pj's still on.)

him: No mam, that would be unsafe.

me: Exactly.

He starts to walk away. I follow him and try to explain my situation more clearly....

him: I'm sorry. You left it unattended. There is nothing I can do!

me: My daughters are flying to Peru this morning to help build schools for children, to paint orphanages, to pour concrete for homes for people who have none. Won't you just help me with this?

him: (still walking away) Those things don't matter. What matters is you left your vehicle unattended.

Well, to me and the people in Peru "those things" matter more than he understands. Thanks for your help, officer #L21.

7 comments:

aftonicole said...

OH MY GOSH that is so HORRIBLE! People have no common decency I swear! So there's no parking whatsoever on the street we work on, except a parking place right across from our store. Well, we get to work at 8:40, and there is ALWAYS one guy parked right in the middle where the spot was meant for two. Andrew parked behind it one dayand a little bit of ONE tire was touching the sidewalk. Next thing he knew, the owner of the car called the police and they were staring at our car. Andrew went out and to cut to the chase, made him move it because it was touching the sidewalk. ANYWHERE you go here, cars are parked all the way on the side walk, pretty much anywhere you can put a car. It just happened because we are white, and we couldn't argue because we're not exactly legal......sorry for the long comment! We'll have to meet up when we're settled in UT!

Kris said...

Oh my word...that's about the time I get "road rage" and want to smack someone! I wish people would be "decent" first and "official" second. The world would be so much happier!

me and the boys said...

Perhaps they are looking for any excuse to give a ticket because many of us have taken to the road to travel instead of using the airports and they need the money. I wish the best to Raegan and Brooke and I can't wait to hear about their awesome trip--hopefully they get better service at other airports.

Anna said...

Yeah, they get pretty tow crazy at the airport. Last time I picked up Paul from a business trip, the Nazi attendants made me circle the airport twice before Paul finally came out. They won't even let you sit in your parked car on their curb!

Callisto said...

That's terrible! But his karma will catch up with him sooner or later. :) I hope the girls have a fun and safe trip.

Kim N said...

First of all, what an amazing experience for your daughters! I can't wait to see a post about their trip.

It would be nice if people in positions like this man would show a little decency and understanding to others. It is not like you were taking advantage and they obviously needed some help. It makes you think he gets paid by how many tickets he hands out.

Kelly said...

Oh, that is harsh. Good for you, for trying to at least get him to see it your way. Bummer though!