12.06.2008

matthew's 8th birthday

Today our Matthew turned 8-years-old. What a busy and amazing day it has been! Not only is it his birthday, but he got the rare opportunity to be baptized on his birthday. I must say it was the best baptismal service I've ever been to (and I'm certainly not biased!).
(December 6th is also Dutch Christmas which we celebrate since we are dutch. He woke up to his wooden shoes full of dutch goodies from Sinter Klaas and Black Pete! It was a good start to a great day!)









Raegan brought her harp and played prelude and postlude.  Click to watch and listen!


These adorable boy cousins are all the same age - all born within a year. We were missing one more - Henry who lives in Pennsylvania.
They sang, "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized".


After the baptism we had everyone over to our home for lunch. I stopped counting at 50 people so I know there were at least that many! I was surprised at how unstressful it was (thanks to the good weather and the boys being able to go out back for a game of football!). Here are some of the "girl cousins" (there are 60 cousins just on one side!).


Dinner at Matthew's favorite restaurant where he got to open his presents. Forget Kung Fu Panda wii game or the Indiana Jones Whip complete with DVD and sound effects, his favorite present was his very own set of scriptures. He carried them around with him everywhere the rest of the night!

8 comments:

Kris said...

Oh, I wish we could have been there! I love the pictures of Matthew...you are fabulous. So cute that he carried around his scriptures all day. He is such a great boy.

Alecia said...

How fun to have so much family around.

Love the picuture from Temple Square!

I noticed the pyramid on your table too. We have one very similar that our son sent home from his mission in Germany.

sayfuzzypickles said...

The baptism was great, so many memories were made with the boys singing, Opa's talk, and the great music with all your girls participating. Sorry we stayed at your house for so long after, you were probably more than ready to have people leave!

sayfuzzypickles said...

I forgot to say how much I love the picture of the kids on temple square! That is awesome! The colors of the trees and temple were captured so well.

aftonicole said...

Thats so cool! I remember one of my friends from High school were partly dutch and I remember her telling me about the wooden shoes thing! how awesome, I think when I have kids I'll make up some cool tradition and act like we're celebrating our Virginia heritage! Merry Christmas!

Rebecca said...

Happy Baptism Matthew! How lucky you are to have such a great family. I LOVED the harp playing, so beautiful:o)

I cannot believe only 2 more years and I will be mailing very similar pics of Orihah!! Now I feel old!

Love to all becky & boys xxxxx

Callisto said...

I can hardly believe Matthew is 8 already! He's such a good boy. It sounds like he had a beautiful baptism.

Oh man, the pictures of your house decorated all pretty for Christmas is making me even more nostalgic. AAA! Only 8 more days! And I'll bring home something nice for you if you want. Do you have a preference?

Kelly said...

That is so awesome, Maryanne. I'm really glad to hear that things went well. I wish I could have been there. Raegan's harp music was beautiful. Who is Mary? I love how excited Matthew got over his new set of scriptures. How sweet is that? And Thomas sure is a cutie pie too, but that's just me. I love the Temple Square picture! Your kids are so good-looking. It sure is wonderful to have so many cousins the same age near by. I wish I could have heard the little boys singing their song. Congratulations on the baptism.